George Pumpelly Collins
At a Glance
Though he was born in New York City, George Collins was of Somerset place in Lake Phelps of Washington County, North Carolina (also known as Lake Scuppernong). As for his occupation, his tombstone reads:
Planter; Major C.S.A. QM Pettrigrew-Kirkland-McRae's Brigade.
George Pumpelly Collins was born on December 26, 1835, in New York, NY. He died on August 30, 1903, and was buried in St. Matthew's Churchyard in Hillsborough, NC.
- Parents: Josiah Collins, III  and Mary Riggs .
- Spouse: Annie Ruffin Cameron (1842-1915), married from 1860 to August 30, 1903.
- Sibling: one brother, Josiah Collins, IV (1830-1890) .
- Others: Sally Rebecca Jones (sister-in-law, 1833-1892), Mary Riggs Collins (niece, 1861-1912) , Josiah Collins, V (nephew), Cadwallader Jones Collins (nephew) , Rebecca Allen Collins (niece) , Lizzie Jones Collins (niece, 1871-1900)  and Althea Collins (niece) .
- Mary Claire Engstrom. The Book of Burwell Students: Lives of Educated Women in the Antebellum South. (Hillsborough: Hillsborough Historic Commission, 2007).