May 31, 2013
Last Fridays: Blues on the Burwell Lawn summer concert series
June 1, 2013
Elizabeth Keckly Lecture at Dickerson Chapel AME Church
June 8, 2013
The Homefront in Hillsborough: Civil War Living History Event
Susan Davis Kollock
Susan Davis Kollock was born on December 21, 1793. She died on March 31, 1854.
Places of Residence
- Camden, SC, between 1833 and 1837. In Camden, SC, the Witherspoons lived in a pleasant house which still stands, with ample grounds at the corner of York and Lyttleton streets .
- Hillsborough, NC, until 1833. Susan's husband, Rev. Dr. John Knox Witherspoon, [Sr.], severed his connection with his Hillsborough congregation over an irreconciable diffenece on the question of slavery. He accepted the pastorate of Bethesda Presbyterian Church in Camden, SC .
- Columbia, SC, between 1837 and 1839 .
- Tusculum Farm in Orange County, NC, from 1839. Susan and her husband, John Knox Witherspoon, [Sr.] returned to Hillsborough, NC to try to make a living on the Tusculum Farm in Orange County, NC, although her husband was then suffering with a fatal infection or growth in his chest. He died on the farm in 1853 .
- Mary Claire Engstrom. The Book of Burwell Students: Lives of Educated Women in the Antebellum South. (Hillsborough: Hillsborough Historic Commission, 2007).