At a Glance
James Phillips was a saddler in Hillsborough, NC .
James Phillips was one of ten organizers of the Hillsborough Presbyterian Church in 1815 and 1816. He was, however, later dismissed by the Session of the Church for variances in point of view. He then became chief sponsor of the little white frame O'Kellyite Christian Chapel on the southeast corner of Lot 103. His son-in-law Solomon Fuller was also a member of the Chapel.
James Phillips had his saddler's shop above Dr. James Webb's medical office on Lot 83. The Phillips house was nearby to the east where the Hill-Webb-Matheson stands today; the Phillips home comprises the east portion of that spreading house. Various members of the Phillips family are buried in the little (42'x42') stone-walled cemetery on E. Tryon Street, known as the Lockhart-Phillips Cemetery .
James Phillips was born on March 10, 1765. He died on October 30, 1847.
- Mary Claire Engstrom. The Book of Burwell Students: Lives of Educated Women in the Antebellum South. (Hillsborough: Hillsborough Historic Commission, 2007).