June 28, 2013
Last Fridays: Blues on the Burwell Lawn with Ben Payton
July 26, 2013
Last Fridays: Blues on the Burwell Lawn with Ron Hunter
John Baptist Smith
At a Glance
John was a Civil War hero. He invented the lantern system of naval signaling .
John Baptist Smith was born on September 19, 1843. He died on May 30, 1923, and was buried in Red House Presbyterian Church in Caswell County, NC. John died in Halifax County, VA .
Places of Residence
- Parents: Richard Ivy Smith (1800-1871)  and Mary Amis Goodwin (1815-1889) .
- Spouse: Sabra Annie Long .
- five brothers, Samuel Maurice Smith (b. 1838), William Goodwin Smith (b. 1845), Robert Kennon Smith (b. 1854), Richard Ivy Smith, [Jr.] (1857-1857) and James Richard Smith (b. 1858).
- seven sisters, Frances Elizabeth Smith (1838-1873) , Rebecca Cameron Smith (1840-1888) , Mary Ivy Smith (1842-1913) , Amy Webb Smith (1847-1849), Mildred Isabella Smith (1848-1849), Anne Wilson Smith (b. 1850) and Penelope Campbell Smith (b. 1853).
- Caswell County Historical Association. Caswell County Family Tree.