Annie Ruffin Kirkland
At a Glance
In an 1856 letter from James F. Cain to Minerva Caldwell, Cain described Annie Ruffin Kirkland as "beautiful, clever, a nice young lady, most admired of all the ladies." 
The beautiful, clever, admired Annie was married to Halbert G. Hill in 1865, when he arrived in Hillsborough, NC as pastor of the Hillsborough Presbyterian Church in Hillsborough, NC. Hill was described as having a magnanimous disposition, winning smile and infectious laughteró able to share the joys and sorrows of common man though himself richly endowed by nature. A widower, he had lost his first wife, Annie Wharey and daughter before coming to Hillsborough, NC from Virginia. In 1867--68 while Halbert was in Oxford, NC and as a part of his job as Presbyterian minister also in charge of Oxford Female Seminary, Annie could have been of help at the school. More research may establish a role for her there. A biography of Hill stated he and Annie Kirkland had three children, one who died in infancy and two who lived to maturity: John Kirkland Hill and Halbert G. Hill, [Jr.]. The United States Census of 1870  listed Halbert, Annie and their son John Kirkland Hill, less than a year old, living in Cross Creek, NC where Hill was minister. The United States Census of 1880  listed one child, John Kirkland Hill, as ten years old and living with his father and stepmother in Fayetteville, NC, and the other child, Halbert G. Hill, [Jr.], or "Albert" as six years old and living with his aunt and uncle John Kirkland at Ayr Mount in Hillsborough, NC. Halbert G. Hill married his third wife, Kate Sheppard, in 1879. Based on this information, Annie died between 1874 when Albert was born and 1879 when the third marriage took place. She is likely buried in Cross Creek, NC   .
Annie Ruffin Kirkland was born on July 25, 1835, in Hillsborough, NC. She died the c. late 1870s.
Places of Residence
- Ayr Mount in Hillsborough, NC, between July 25, 1835 and 1865.
- Hillsborough, NC, between 1865 and 1867. Annie Ruffin Kirkland resided in Hillsborough, NC between 1865-67. It is likely she stayed at the Simpson family house or Ayr Mount in Hillsborough, NC.
- Oxford, NC, between 1867 and 1868. Annie's husband, Halbert G. Hill was pastor of the Oxford Presbyterian Church, 1867-1868.
- Cross Creek, NC, between 1868 and mid 1870s. Halbert G. Hill served as pastor of the Cross Creek- Fayetteville Presbyterian Church, 1868-1886. Annie gave birth to her son Halbert G. Hill, [Jr.] in Cross Creek, NC in 1874 but presumably died shortly after, as her husband remarried in 1879.
- Parents: John Umstead Kirkland (1802-1879) and Elizabeth Adam Simpson (1809-1881).
- Spouse: Halbert G. Hill (1831-1924), married on November 28, 1865. Annie Ruffin Kirkland and Halbert G. Hill were married in Hillsborough, NC by J. Henry Smith, VDM. She was his second wife.
- Maternal grandparent: Samuel Simpson.
- six brothers, Alexander McKenzie Kirkland (1841-1900), Samuel Simpson Kirkland (1831-1904), William Whedbee Kirkland (1833-1915), John Umstead Kirkland, [Jr.] (1838-1914), Thomas Ruffin Kirkland (1839-1842) and Robert Roulhac Kirkland (1855-1862).
- five sisters, Infant Kirkland (1830-1830), Margaret Jane Kirkland (1847-1895), Elizabeth Simpson Kirkland (1845-1849), Susan Mary Kirkland (1843-1914) and Maria Simpson Kirkland (1850-1929).
- The Kirklands of Ayr Mount.
- United States Census of 1870.
- United States Census of 1880.