Elizabeth Adam Simpson
Elizabeth Adam Simpson and her family spent summers in Hillsborough, NC to escape the heat and disease of New Bern, NC and the coast. The family likely resided in the Hasell-Nash House in Hillsborough, NC on Tryon St. Betsy was described as "beautiful." She married John Umstead Kirkland of Ayr Mount in Hillsborough, NC on February 19, 1829. The couple resided in Hillsborough, NC and Ayr Mount in Hillsborough, NC after their marriage, and two of their daughters, Annie Ruffin Kirkland and Susan Mary Kirkland attended the Burwell School.
Elizabeth was called Betsy.
Elizabeth Adam Simpson was born on October 29, 1809, in New Bern, NC. She died on December 30, 1881.
Places of Residence
- New Bern, NC, from October 29, 1809.
- Ayr Mount in Hillsborough, NC, in 1829. John Umstead Kirkland brought his new bride, Elizabeth Adam Simpson, to Ayr Mount in Hillsborough, NC to live briefly after their honeymoon in 1829.
- Hasell-Nash House in Hillsborough, NC, between 1829 and 1838. In 1829, Elizabeth Adam Simpson and John Umstead Kirkland moved to a house belonging to her father, Samuel Simpson, likely the Hasell-Nash House in Hillsborough, NC on Queen St. where the couple resided until 1838.
- Montrose in Hillsborough, NC, between 1838 and 1840. The couple bought the house and grounds of Montrose in Hillsborough, NC, owned by William Mercer Green. The property was adjacent to the Ruffin family property, St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Hillsborough, NC and Ayr Mount in Hillsborough, NC.
- Ayr Mount in Hillsborough, NC, between 1840 and December 30, 1881. Elizabeth Adam Simpson remained at Ayr Mount in Hillsborough, NC until her death in 1881.
- Parent: Samuel Simpson.
- Spouse: John Umstead Kirkland (1802-1879), married from February 19, 1829 to January 25, 1879. Elizabeth Adam Simpson and John Umstead Kirkland wed in New Bern, NC.
- six sons, Samuel Simpson Kirkland (1831-1904), William Whedbee Kirkland (1833-1915), John Umstead Kirkland, [Jr.] (1838-1914), Thomas Ruffin Kirkland (1839-1842), Alexander McKenzie Kirkland (1841-1900) and Robert Roulhac Kirkland (1855-1862).
- six daughters, Infant Kirkland (1830-1830), Annie Ruffin Kirkland (1835-870s) , Margaret Jane Kirkland (1847-1895), Elizabeth Simpson Kirkland (1845-1849), Susan Mary Kirkland (1843-1914) and Maria Simpson Kirkland (1850-1929).
- Others: Infant Hill (granddaughter), John Kirkland Hill (grandson, b. 1869) and Halbert G. Hill, [Jr.] (grandson, b. 1874).